If you have ever been to the Bullring in Birmingham you may have come across the amazing pretzel stall (Mr Pretzels) on the bottom floor by Debenhams underneath the escalators. After visiting this stall time after time I was inspired to have a go at making my own version of these scrummy pretzels. I’ve included the recipe I used in case you want to give them a go yourself!
400ml warm water
1 1/8 Tsp of dried yeast
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tsp salt
5oz strong bread flour
15oz plain flour
500ml warm water
2 Tbsp baking soda
For the topping
4 oz butter (melted)
2 ½ oz caster sugar
2 Tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC (or 210 for fan oven).
- Put the water into a mixing bowl mix in the yeast until dissolved.
- Add the brown sugar and salt and stir.
- Mix in the flours and knead until smooth and elastic, and leave for 30 mins in a warm place.
- Whilst the dough is proving prepare the soda bath by mixing the water with the baking soda. (I also used this time to grease a baking tray).
- Divide the dough into roughly 8 pieces. Roll into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Dip the pretzel into the soda bath then place onto the baking tray.
- Leave to prove again in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
- Place into the centre of the oven and cook for 8 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large bowl mix the sugar and the
cinnamon until well combined. Brush each pretzel with the melted butter
and then dip into the bowl of cinnamon sugar until fully covered.